GET TO KNOW ME
One of the best part about being a communicator is being able to learn from experts and meet fascinating people from all around the world.
In my capacity as a keynote speaker and panel moderator, I strongly advocate for public scientific literacy and inclusion in STEM.
Wherever possible, I contribute my time pro bono to organizations and social causes that I believe in. I currently sit on the boards of two non-profit organizations that support talent development and youth.
MY MISSION & PURPOSE
In February 2018, I walked away from a tenure-track academic career in biomedical research and nearly a decade of training at Cambridge University and MIT, to pursue my calling to deliver social impact through science communication.
Today, I'm serving the STEM community on a much broader scale, as the founder & CEO of Wildtype Media Group, Asia’s leading STEM-focused media company, spanning digital, social, print and events.
At Asian Scientist Magazine, our North Star is to "make Asian scientists household names." Nothing gives me greater joy than to unlock stories about incredible science coming out of Asia.
I AM A PROFESSIONAL MODERATOR
I am a keynote speaker and professional moderator with experience moderating top industry panels and fireside chats.
I have run numerous press conferences and industry panels (LinkedIn Live and in person) for my corporate clients, including P&G, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health.
Notably, I moderated three panels in January 2020 at the World Economic Forum 50th Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland, including the press conference on the COVID-19 outbreak.
AWARDS & MEDIA COVERAGE
I am particularly proud to be featured in the Singapore Economic Development Board's international branding campaign. Here's the group video and another that focuses on me.
For my scientific research, I was a recipient of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science National Fellowship and MIT Technology Review’s 10 Innovators Under 35 (Asia).
As a media entrepreneur, I have been featured by MIT Technology Review, Vogue Singapore, Robb Report, and The Peak.
MY SPEAKING PORTFOLIO
Here's some industry panels I've moderated in the past three years:
- World Economic Forum Annual Meeting: A panel discussion on Alzheimer's disease with then-NIH Director Dr Francis Collins (Davos, Switzerland)
- ATxSingapore: An fireside chat with Pierre Gaudreault, Asia President, Pfizer Biopharmaceuticals (Singapore)
- AstraZeneca: A virtual press conference with medical experts (Linked Live)
- P&G: A virtual panel on the launch of the P&G Singapore Innovation Center (LinkedIn Live)
- Valneva: A virtual fireside chat with CMO Dr Juan Carlos Jaramillo (LinkedIn Live)
- Women's Forum Annual Meeting: A panel discussion on education and skills (Paris, France)
- Falling Walls Summit: A panel discussion on the hydrogen economy (Berlin, Germany)
Here's some keynote speeches I've given:
- L'Oréal For Women in Science Festival: A keynote speech on my career transition from scientist to science communicator (Paris, France)
- ST Engineering: A keynote speech on future technologies such as quantum communication (Singapore)
Here's some training sessions I've conducted:
- J&J Consumer Health: A science communication workshop for their R&D team on how to communicate scientific research effectively to the general public (virtual)
- A*STAR Singapore: A strategic branding workshop on harnessing the power of an organization's own employees to boost brand awareness on LinkedIn (Singapore)
- IPI Singapore: A strategic communication workshop to help employees use LinkedIn for business development, networking and brand building (Singapore)
SPIKE: THE VIRUS
VS THE PEOPLE
I moderated the COVID-19 outbreak press conference at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos on 23 January 2020.
My role as a moderator was described in Spike: The Virus Versus the People, the Inside Story, a book by Sir Jeremy Farrar, WHO Chief Scientist, and co-author Anjana Ahuja.
In the book, he writes: "The somber meeting, in a darkened Issue Briefing Room, was briskly chaired by Juliana Chan, a science communicator from Singapore (where I was born)."
LEARN ABOUT MY KEYNOTE SPEAKING & PANEL MODERATING SERVICES.
Get in touch with my team at: hi *dot* julianachan.org.
Let's stay in touch.
Subscribe to my Find Your Superpower weekly newsletter: